Gallery

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Paolo Coelho's The Winner Stands Alone

it's actually a very good book to read and compels me to read on with it's fascinating world of assassinations to win one's love back, glamorous lives of the Super-class, the hopes and sacrifices of struggling actresses in Hollywood, the unbelievable honesty and integrity of a rags to riches haute couture fashion designer, the boredom and superficiality of the ppl who have reached the very top of the pyramid and who live for nothing much else except to find excitement and passion in their lives...

very nicely translated from Portuguese.

i can kinda relate to it in a way, me being in one of the aforementioned industries.

quite philosophical actually, certain phrases the writer wrote. makes one think...
我们工作是为了活着, 还是活着为了工作?

难道我们工作到死为止, 都只是为了生存?

那活着到底有什么意义呢?

I have yet to finish the book, am only halfway through but I am happy that I picked this up at the bookstore. I love how the writer makes the reader think about life and certain related issues, though I am very sure, that some characters are actually an allusion to certain ppl in real life... For example the man who 'destroys worlds' in the name of love. I think that the writer is expressing some thoughts about terrorism thru this character, though he says nothing to condemn or condone...

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello(:

You sound a lot like a literature student. HAHA!

The book sounds really nice(: Its funny how people DO actually get so involved with their fame and affluence that they forget their direction in life. Its a real pity that they lost the passion for what they're doing as a job, and they start concentrating on the superficial.

I mean, God gave them a gift that they should share with the world; Yet, they abuse this gift. They forget the purpose of their given opportunity.

It's indeed saddening, don't you think?

That's why I think that YOU are doing a fine job dealing with all your fame. You're still down-to-earth, even though so many people look up to you. I hope that you'll continue to stay this way and remember that He has opened a path for you, so cherish it((:

Love,
Julia ( Jestellynn )

Eelyn, 郭蕙雯 said...

Hi nice to hear from u again Julia, it's been some time :)


i was a Lit student in JC so I still apply certain practical criticism skills when i read, unconsciously i guess... hahah but I do love it..

Unknown said...

Wow, you still remember me?? Sweet!((:

By the way, do you foresee any fanclub gatherings this year? I have been waiting since 2 years ago. Hahaha.


Love,
Julia ( Jestellynn )

Unknown said...

Hi Eelyn,
The book really sounds nice, thanks for sharing.

I'm really looking forward to your new drama and the Star Awards.
I wish you good luck.

I think you were great as Huang Jin Hao in Together, you were the best ;)

Take care!

Ria from The Netherlands

Unknown said...

"Without vision people perish". If we don't know our life's purpose, nothing we do brings meaning. With no meaning in life, there's no hope. In desperation, many take up "causes" as their purpose... humanitarian, environmental etc... and go to the extreme justified by a "purpose". We however, should know the purpose to our lives given by God. "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Eph2:10

The Melancholy of DZ said...

Hey I was a lit student too in JC. I have only read Paulo Coelho's The Pilgrimage so far among his works. I wonder if the spiritual exercises described in that book really work...maybe I'll try reading the book u reccomended. Thx!

Gina said...

Paulo Coelho writes beautiful things! I've read most of his books - my favorite so far is The Alchemist and Eleven Minutes. I've this "The Winner Stands Alone" by my bedside now and will read after I finished a book I am reading now.

Good choice, Eelyn!

Just a design thinker said...

Hey!
This is just someone who have finished watching "Together" some days ago and really liked you in the role of "Jin Hao".
I am now very disappointed and sad that you did not win the "Best Actress" award. :( I think you totally deserved it though :( Anyway, life goes on and just to tell you, in my heart, you are the Best Actress among the nominees for this year!

huiming said...

hi! =] you are so beautiful in star awards <333 will continue to support you jiayou jiayou! love you~

xoxo mel

James Lau said...

Hi Eelyn, any new show coming soon from you?

Eelyn, 郭蕙雯 said...

Hey Julia,
fanclub meeting is possible, will probably announce in the Facebook when time & venue's been determined :)

Hi James
yes currently preparing for a new drama on lawyers doing cases on family matters.. Am so excited about it!

Anyway, I hope my new post will cheer u all up, no matter how the week had been for u :)